About Famous 5
It’s easy to see why this is our most popular tour… escape into Tasmania’s pristine wilderness as we travel coast to coast and experience the best of the island. The tour starts by heading to the wild and rugged West Coast for waterfalls, rainforests, and wildlife. Then, experience the startling change of scenery as the tour goes on through the alpine wilderness of Cradle Mountain to the white sands of the East Coast’s Bay of Fires and Wineglass Bay. Eco-certified and active, with a diversity of outstanding short walks in National Parks to suit your level of fitness.
The Famous Tour of Tasmania’s Wild Places, Wildlife and Wild Fun!
- Accommodation for 4 nights
- Guided commentary
- Guided walks and free walking options
- National Park entry fees
- Pick-ups and drop-offs at selected Hobart CBD locations
- Airport drop off available upon request
- Russell Falls, Mt Field National Park, Lake St Clair
- Henty Dunes, Tarkine Rainforest, Strahan
- Cradle Mountain, Sheffield, Launceston, Cataract Gorge
- Bay of Fires, St Columba Falls, St Helens, Bicheno
- Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay, Cape Tourville
- Advanced Eco-Certified Tour
- This tour departs Sundays (all year) and Tuesdays (October to April)
- Starts Hobart 7.30am
- Finishes Hobart 5.30pm
Additional activity options available (at own expense):
- Gordon River Cruise
HOBART TO STRAHAN
We begin our journey into the Western Wilds at the stunning Mt Field NP, with its wondrous Russell Falls and some of the world’s tallest trees. Located within the World Heritage Area, we’ll experience Lake St Clair, rainforests, and magnificent views along the way as we traverse the Franklin-Gordon NP. We stop briefly at the quirky and fascinating mining area of Queenstown which provides a taste of Tassie’s pioneer history, before settling in the scenic harbourside village of Strahan. Nestled on Macquarie Harbour, this beautiful town has a wicked history, and here our guides know the best places to look for the elusive platypus!
WILD WEST COAST
We’ll take you into the Tarkine Rainforest to walk to Tassie’s highest waterfall, Montezuma Falls, then explore Henty Sand Dunes. Or today you can choose to take the optional Gordon River Cruise (own cost). Later, we’ll check out the wild and rugged Ocean Beach and breathe the freshest air in the world, before returning for our final night in historic Strahan.
CRADLE MOUNTAIN TO LAUNCESTON
Here it is! Tasmania’s big-ticket item and every hiker’s dream: Cradle Mountain NP. Will you take on the climb to Marion’s Lookout or opt to meander around the glacial carved Dove Lake? With luck today, we may see a wombat or two at Ronny Creek. We’ll then check out Sheffield, the Town of Murals, before reaching one of Australia’s oldest cities, Launceston.
LAUNCESTON TO BICHENO
Explore Launceston’s beautiful Cataract Gorge before taking a scenic drive to the East Coast and exploring Tasmania’s best beaches, including the turquoise waters of the Bay of Fires. Here we take our time enjoying the breathtaking coastal scenery before making our way down to the relaxed township of Bicheno, home of the little penguin.
FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK TO HOBART
An early start means we are the first to the Wineglass Bay Lookout, beating the crowds and the heat. Relax on the secluded beach or choose the more challenging Mt Amos climb or a beach walk. We’ll take in phenomenal views from the lighthouse at Cape Tourville before following the Great Eastern Drive to Hobart.
How active is this tour?
- The walking in Tasmania is world-class, and we’ve selected beautiful walking experiences for our guests (we include many of the 60-great-short-walks of Tasmania)
- Some walks are guided, while others are unguided (free walking)
- In many locations there is a choice between an easier or more advanced option
- Essentially, you can make this as active or as easy as you like; all walks are optional and range from 20 minutes up to 4 hours
Gallery – Famous 5 Tour
Twin / Double
Twin / Double
This tour offers Hostel and Motel style accommodation options.
- Motel accommodations are based on private rooms with ensuite facilities
- If booking Twin or Double accommodation options, a minimum of 2 persons is required. We are unable to match up single travellers into a Twin share option
- Hostel Dorm style accommodation is based on same gender dormitory rooms with shared same-gender bathrooms. Own toiletries and towels are required
- Hostel Twin/Double and Single rooms have shared same-gender bathrooms