About Discovery 6
Discover the highlights of Tasmania in this 6-day nature-based tour. Departing Hobart, the tour takes you deep into the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area in the West Coast. Tall trees, rainforests, waterfalls, and a cruise along the Gordon River are just some of the highlights of this remote region of Tasmania. The alpine mountain scenery of Cradle Mountain is world-class, and you’ll be amazed by the pristine coastlines at the Bay of Fires and Wineglass Bay. Finally, your Tasmanian experience is completed with an encounter with Tasmanian devils at a wildlife sanctuary, followed by an exploration of Tasmania’s convict history at the Port Arthur Historic Site. Our expert guides provide insights on local flora, fauna, and history. The small group tour offers motel-style accommodation and suits guests desirous of a more relaxed pace while experiencing Tasmania’s best-known nature and wildlife.
Discover Tasmania’s natural beauty, wildlife, and culture.
- Accommodation for 5 nights
- Meals: Breakfast x 4, Lunch x 1, and Dinner x 3
- Gordon River Cruise
- Entry to Port Arthur Historic Site and Harbour Cruise, Entry to Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary to see Tasmanian Devils
- National Park entry fees, guided walks and free-walking options
- Pick-ups and drop-offs at selected Hobart CBD locations. Airport drop off available upon request
- Russell Falls, Mt Field National Park, Lake St Clair, Queenstown, Gordon River Cruise, Tullah
- Cradle Mountain, Launceston, Cataract Gorge, Bay of Fires, St Columba Falls, St Helens
- Wineglass Bay, Freycinet National Park, Bicheno
- Eaglehawk Neck, Tasmanian Devils
- Port Arthur Historic Site, Tasman National Park and geological highlights
- Advanced Eco-Certified Tour
- This tour departs selected Saturdays (October to April)
- Starts Hobart 7.30am
- Finishes Hobart 5.30pm
How active is this tour?
- The walking in Tasmania is world-class, and we’ve selected beautiful walking experiences for our guests (we include many of the 60-great-short-walks of Tasmania)
- Some walks are guided, while others are unguided (free walking)
- In many locations there is a choice between an easier or more advanced option
- The Discovery 6 tour offers walks that are easy to moderate in difficulty.
HOBART TO QUEENSTOWN
Our first wilderness experience begins in Mount Field National Park where we’ll walk amongst some of the world’s tallest trees and the cascading Russell Falls. Continuing west we will visit Australia’s deepest freshwater lake, Lake St Clair, before traversing the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. Here we’ll enjoy some short walks along the tannin-coloured waters of the Franklin River and Nelson Falls. Further west, past the vast buttongrass plains, vistas of Mt Lyell, the Iron Blow and Horsetail falls complete our day of stunning scenery. We overnight in Queenstown, once a historic mining town, now a thriving West Coast destination.
Overnight: Queenstown (D)
GORDON RIVER CRUISE TO TULLAH
Cruise along the magnificent Gordon River. This outstanding river cruise explores Macquarie Harbour as far as the imposing Hells Gates. You’ll explore the convict site of Sarah Island before venturing upriver and deeper into the World Heritage rainforests. Stroll amid the ancient huon pines on the boardwalk and enjoy lunch aboard the ship featuring Tasmanian produce. This afternoon, journey to the tiny town of Tullah. On a clear day, magnificent views across Lake Rosebery are possible of the rugged peaks of Mount Murchison. Tonight, we’ll enjoy a group dinner and relax in the lakeside chalet.
Overnight: Tullah (B, L, D)
TULLAH TO CRADLE MOUNTAIN
Experience the iconic Cradle Mountain National Park. Your guide will explain several options to suit your preferences today. At Ronny Creek we’ll meander along the boardwalk to look for wombats. At Dove Lake, spend 2-3 hours circling the glacial carved lake beneath towering mountains and diverse alpine vegetation. Or take in the valley views from the Boat Shed or Glacial Rock. This afternoon, enjoy the “Town of Murals” at Sheffield, before arriving in Launceston in northern Tasmania.
Overnight: Launceston (B)
BAY OF FIRES > BICHENO
Visit Cataract Gorge, a scenic nature reserve just minutes from downtown Launceston. Travel to the East Coast via St Columba Falls. We’ll enjoy lunch in St Helens before exploring the Bay of Fires/larapuna. At Cosy Corner North, stroll along the white sands of the pristine beaches. Turquoise waters and rust-coloured boulders make this scenery remarkable. This evening we will stay in Bicheno, the East Coast’s loveliest coastal town and home to the little penguin.
Overnight: Bicheno (B)
FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK > EAGLEHAWK NECK
Freycinet National Park is a coastal nature playground with secluded bays, pristine beaches, diverse forests, and pink granite mountains. At Honeymoon Bay, discover the stunning pink peaks of the Hazards Mountains. A walk to the Wineglass Bay Lookout provides postcard views of the curved white beach, while at Cape Tourville you can take in panoramic views of the Tasman Sea and Freycinet coastlines. We will continue south and see the scenery changes as we reach the gateway to the stunning Tasman Peninsula at Eaglehawk Neck.
Overnight: Eaglehawk Neck (B,D)
EAGLEHAWK NECK > HOBART
Wander down to the geological wonder of the Tessellated Pavement and explore other parts of the magnificent Tasman Peninsula such as Tasman Arch and Devils Kitchen which form part of the Tasman National Park. See Tasmanian devils and other wildlife at a nature sanctuary, before visiting the open-air museum of Port Arthur Historic Site. Explore the vast gardens and convict buildings in what is known as the best convict historic settlement in Australia and a World Heritage Site. We’ll return to Hobart where our journey comes to an end.
Gallery – Discovery 6
Twin / Double
This tour offers Motel style accommodation options.
- Motel style accommodations are based on private rooms with ensuite facilities
- If booking Twin or Double accommodation options, a minimum of 2 persons is required. We are unable to match up single travellers into a Twin share option